Sunday 10 November 2013

Spin-Kabobs

The current project on the spinning wheel is a multicoloured, long-repeat yarn. I was weighing the required bits of a dozen colours out, when I realized that I had no recollection of how I kept the darn things in order the last time I did this sort of thing. I thought it might have involved stacking them in a plastic bag, but didn't find anything that looked to be dimensionally appropriate.

Then I had one of my occasional brilliant notions. Possibly suggested by my new needle-case, I thought of straight knitting needles. And it is working a treat. I just threaded each neat little bit of carded wool onto a needle, in the correct order. Kind of like a rainbow-colored shish-kabob, so I've taken to thinking about it as a spin-kabob.

And since I want 2 skeins of two ply, I have 4 needles, neatly and identically adorned, one for each bobbin of single-ply. Dead easy to keep track of where I am, and what colour comes next, and they're not likely to get messed up the way a bag of roving bits would. Definitely an idea I want to keep in mind for the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment