Monday 5 September 2011

One of Those Days

Every now and then, a day turns up when it feels like there might be something to the idea of getting up on the wrong side of the bed, or the stars being misaligned, or what have you. A whole extra day off today, and I feel like nothing's been accomplished. Not that anything major has gone wrong, it's just that you do have to wonder when a whole handful of small annoyances show up in one day.

I headed for the internet this morning, to get a few things done, and my computer informed me I wasn't connected to the net. This despite the fact that it was working fine last night. It's back now, but whether it was an intermittent glitch elsewhere, or something I fixed when checking cables I don't know. Either way, it took most of the day to get it back.

The timer on my stove has decided to start ticking and won't stop except when I loosen the oven fuse. It's done the ticking thing before, but usually I can convince it to stop within a few minutes without resorting to such extreme measures. Not today, it seems.

So with the stove timer disconnected and the Internet not available, I sat down to work on Jen's sweater. Second half of the front was coming nicely, I finished the waist decreases - and came to the realization that I should have started putting the buttonholes in a few inches ago. Frogged 3/4 of that piece, added the first buttonhole, and thought perhaps something simple, in the way of instant gratification, might be nice today, and I knew just the thing.

I had suggested making a cup sleeve for one of the girls I work with, so she didn't have to get an extra cup every day, since the place she was going didn't have the little cardboard sleeves for the coffee cups. Poked through my little balls of scrap, and prepared to do a quick bit of knitting while watching a movie.
Wouldn't you know it, it took me three tries to get the right number of stitches to fit the cup. Then I misread the stitch pattern I was trying, and had to restart. And then...casting off, I was short a foot or two of yarn. Well, I put that aside, and cast on for a plain garter stitch piece, to be worked side to side and sewn into a ring for the cupholder. Because obviously anything more complicated is asking for trouble today.

I was going to put the spaghetti sauce I canned away in the storage room today, but I think it will wait till tomorrow. At this rate, it is entirely likely I would drop it, or the shelf would destabilize, or something. No sense tempting fate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment