Saturday 20 August 2011

Tomato, Tomahto

It's that time of year again  - the tomatoes have started to ripen. I wasn't sure what to expect out of mine. I got the seedlings from one of the spinners who had rather overdone it. She had no idea what they were, and so I wasn't even sure if the plants would all be the same kind of tomato. But it looks like they are - big, pinky-red fruits with green tops, large and tasty. The first one went into hamburgers at our spin-out on Friday, and into bruschetta for lunch today. There are now several more ripe ones awaiting my attentions, and I think perhaps some canning is in my future.

What I think is rather interesting is that the tomatoes, despite being all the same color, are somewhat varied as to shape and size. Some classically round ones, some huge bulging irregular ones, and one which is definitely deserving of being labeled by the old name for tomato, which is love-apple:
Of course, when we get potatoes like that they usually get labelled as butt-shaped. Perhaps there's a double standard in produce, as in humans, related to attractiveness?

No comments:

Post a Comment